Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Enough already.

Just a short note about the brou-ha-ha over the Scooter Libby trial, Valeria Plame et al, ad nauseum (too much Latin for you there?)

I know everyone will say I think what I'm about to say because I'm a republican (most of the time) but that is not it.

I just can't believe we are tying up government resources and spending who knows how much of our tax dollars to determine if and when Scooter Libby actually did leak the fact that Ms. Plame was a CIA operative of some sort. Who really cares? I don't know beans about Scooter Libby except that he worked for Dick Cheney. Well I don't really care for Mr. Cheney so I probably don't care for Mr. Libby. Just get it over with for crying out loud.

But I do have one curious question: I heard Tim Russert on Imus talking about his testimony. Now I happen to think Mr. Russert is a bright buy and if I were home on Sunday morns and could get NBC (the recent ice storm took down our antenna so we get only a snowy picture from our NBC affil) I would watch Meet the Press. but my question for him would be - if this were a high-level democratic staff person on trial, would he be testifying? Didn't Judith Miller go to jail for awhile for not revealing information? I know this had to do with sources but I always thought journos would not reveal who told them whatever. I'm sure there is some nuance I am missing and I repeat, I do not care what happens to Mr. Libby. Honestly if the GOP really cared about their future (another subject I've written on before), they'd ask him to take the fall anyway so this can move off the front page, Imus and NPR. If Fitzgerald keeps this up, we'll be wondering about this in 2008 and an election will be upon us.

To me the whole thing about Plame, Novak, Libby - is a tempest in a teapot. Or "a tale full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." (Shakespeare - Macbeth)

See. Read this and you get some Latin and some Shakespeare!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

between this and anna nicole smith i think i'm going to break my television.
=)
ps- i feel smarter when i read your blogs...

eBurly said...

The whole case would have been over a long time ago if Libby's testimony had been consistant with Russert.

The irony is that it is not illegal for him to reveal Plame and the administration to de-classify her, which is what should have been done from the beginning.

The White House was hoping that they could rely on the media to do the investigating and come up with the conspiracy of the Plame-Wilson connection, but the media (Tim Russert) was too thick-headed.

So if Libby had said "I tried to tell Tim, but he didn't care." Then no harm no foul, because ultimately the Whitehouse has the right to do that.

Instead he is caught in a he-said, she said with Tim Russert. Which is why the prosecution salivated because now they have a real case, someone lied while under oath. Only problem is that there are absolutely no regulations on what the press can know and release, so Tim is off the hook, and Libby stands trial.