Thursday, December 20, 2007

Intelligence

(pardon the lateness of this post - I'm just now getting around to putting it up)

This word alone could be an oxymoron.

I’ve not read the full reports but I have heard about the two differing intelligence reports on Iran’s development (or not) of nuclear weapons.

My point is – how do you know whom to believe?

We are in a protracted war with no clear exit strategy or end in sight based on possible faulty intelligence and we seem pretty darn close to doing the same thing with Iran.

I was not in favor of the invasion of Iraq back in ‘03 or whenever it happened. But now we’ve made a mess – or at least made a worse mess and we are obligated to try and clean it up. I say this to say I don’t think it is hypocritical to say “we support the troops” but not support the war. Plus we owe the Iraqi people a shot at getting their country rebuilt and help in getting a government in place that works.

But with regard to intelligence; how do we know whom to trust? Reasonable people can disagree on lots of things but with the possibility of bombing Iran back to the dark ages looming, I’d like for everyone to take a deep breath and re-think this whole thing.

And I know I’m far from the first or last person to comment on this but given the import of this report on Iran and what we may or may not do as a result, couldn’t Pres. Bush work really hard to pronounce “nuclear’ correctly? In the one sound bite I heard on NPR, he said (of course) ‘new-cue-lar.’

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

seriously. if you can't handle the english language perhaps you shouldn't handle the COUNTRY.
good blog, d.