Thursday, August 14, 2008

The boys next door

Today I spent about 5 hours working with a couple of co-workers building some shelves at a group home that is part of what is called ARC of the Ozarks. I guess some years back they started using the acronym ARC instead of the Association for Retarded Citizens. This nice clean house in a less-than middle class neighborhood in Springfield houses 8 men in varying stages of physical or mental challenge or both.

I was reminded of the TV movie some years ago, The Boys Next Door with Nathan Lane. A sweet movie about several men of varying disabilities and their social worker.

I always enjoy this type of project and today we got to do something hands-on and even though it was just a set of shelves, we did a really nice job and we got it finished. There's something about a challenge like that - none of our team of three are carpenters - and getting it done and having it look pretty darn good for some chipboard and some 2X4s.

I have always had a soft spot for folks with some mental challenges. I have no idea what to do for any of them except pray when I see someone struggling with things they didn't have a say in. Probably all these men were born (or acquired through injury etc.) their disability. I am reminded of the time (John Chap. 9) when someone asked Jesus if a blind man had sinned or if it was his parents. Jesus replied; "Neither, ... but that the works of God should be made manifest in him."

Then Jesus proceeded to heal him in a most unusual way by spitting in the dirt and making clay to put on the man's eyes. Then he tells him to go wash (I assume to wash the muddy spit out of his eyes) and the man came back seeing.

I guess my hope and prayer for these 8 men and many many more like them is that they too someday see and feel the glory of God made manifest in their lives.

No comments: