Wednesday, January 7, 2009

No more Indy please!

Sorry to say this but I tried to watch the latest installment of Indiana Jones - something about a Crystal Skull and aliens. Somethings just can't be improved upon. In its time Raiders was great. Admittedly I don't think it holds up over time but way back when ...

#2 was too gruesome, dark, etc. #3 was ok mostly because I really like Sean Connery but I confess I don't recall much else about it.

I spent about an hour late one recent Sat evening watching trying to wade thru #4. At about just a few minutes in I almost quit but decided to get some milk and cookies and give it another try. Around 45 minutes I got up but something sat me back down for a few more minutes. But I guess (SPOILER WARNING!) when Shia Lebouf used a big snake to get them out of the sand pit thing - cute that someone remembered Indy's fear and loathing of snakes, but I couldn't go on. The only other thing I think was reasonably clever was making Indy have a son he didn't know about.

I come up with all sorts of ideas and while this one (Indy and son) was not mine, I did write down one for James Bond a few years ago. The premise is that in all Bond's encounters, somewhere he has a son. Eventually they will cross paths. But when they do, his son is going to be on the wrong side of things and this presents Bond Sr. with a dilemma. Save the world or save his son. Probably not new and since I only started watching with Daniel Craig as Bond, there is a lot of Bond history I don't know. So if he already has been there and done this - pardon me. I really didn't know. Otherwise when this storyline makes its way into a movie, remember you heard it from me first or second or third ...

No comments: