Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The first cut is the deepest

Today our little Willie is well ... he had the better part of his horse-ly manhood removed. So he moved from the status of Stallion to that of Gelding. I got a lesson in horse anatomy from our very nice vet. He showed them to me, where he cut, what he cut out etc. We'll just have to see if that makes any difference in how he behaves. Gentle now but spunky. Hopefully Annie (daughter #3 who purchased said Stallion from her mother) can work with him and get him ready to ride.

I was a temporary horse hoof trimmer while Willie was unconscious. His hooves hadn't acquired Howard Hughes status yet but they needed some work. Standing over a horse with my back bent at a 90 degree angle in 90 PLUS degree heat was exhausting. I was sweating up a storm and the vet never broke a sweat!

I learned what a squeeler is today too in terms of anatomy. Sometime I'll have to relate that but for some citified folk - it might rank up there with a prior posting on Butt Baths and my two little steers. Who by the way are no longer bulls but steers (see Stallion to Gelding above) thanks to a device and a couple of rubber bands. This one bears more explaining also but - another time, another place.

No comments: