Friday, June 29, 2007

You'd Have to see it to Believe it!

My wife and I were sitting in our rockers (yep we are old people already!) on our front porch this a.m. and our big fat black worthless cat saunters up. He needs at least a head scratch and to rub his head all over whatever part of your body you're willing to get black hair all over. Often he will climb up in a lap and start kneading with his front paws.

Today he sort of lay down on the concrete. Then I noticed a bird coming toward the porch quite rapidly. At first I thought it was heading for us, then it dipped and dove for the cat. Pretty strange until it happened again and again. For several minutes this bird - unsure what type - medium size with a sort of short forked tail - flew directly at our cat and my wife says the bird actually touched the cat at some point.

What did our big fat ... cat do? Nothing. Did not even bat a paw. He just lay there. I wish I'd had a small video camera to capture this. I've never seen a bird taunt a cat in that way before.

Twenty + something years ago we used to have some squirrels who would sit up in trees and sort of "bark" at our cats below but today is as close as I've ever seen to watching a bird tease its arch enemy.

1 comment:

gillian said...

i believe it. black kitty is so fat he probably couldn't muster the energy to lift his head off the porch, much less swat a paw...