Friday, January 25, 2008

Being stupid

I did my share of this yesterday. Went to the feed store to pick up some minerals for our sheep. They come in these metal tubs and weigh more than 125 lbs. I got two. Went on to work.

Later I had to go to the post office - can't believe we still have to do that - and on my way I needed to change lanes. I was next to a woman in an SUV talking on her cell. She was in no hurry but going just fast enough that I couldn't easily get around her. Behind her was a pretty long line of cars. So I decided to goose it a little (the old truck still has some get-up-n-go!) and get in front of her to make my turn. I did and soon pulled in to park at the P.O. While walking from my truck I noticed I had only ONE mineral tub. It took about two or three seconds to realize it must have slid out when I did my Mario Andretti thing. I hadn't gone far so I walked out to the road and sure enough, about a block back was my tub, sitting patiently by the curb.

I jumped back in, drove as close to it as I could get - this is a busy street and nowhere on the street to stop and park. I had to park at a Scrambler's. This sits up a small rise from the street where my 125 lb. tub lay. I was also decently dressed and had an event coming up in about 20 minutes. So I rolled the tub up the hill and then had to figure how to get it up into my truck. My 3/4 ton sits rather high up so I was looking at getting this thing up about waist high. Somehow I had to do that without hurting my aging back nor soiling or tearing my reasonably clean and nice clothes. I did it in stages. Got my spare tire out and set the tub on it. Then using a couple of blocks of wood, got it slightly higher. Then I used a 5 gallon bucket - there's a reason to keep all this stuff in the back of my truck. Finally I got it within dragging distance of the pick-up bed. I climbed up, bent way over, said a prayer that I wouldn't destroy my back, and dragged the thing into the bed. I can lift 125 pounds but this thing is about 2 or more foot wide, does not have handy handles and remember my clothes.

I drove back to finish my P.O. business and my cell phone rang. "Hi, this is Lee from SoMo. Do you still have your barrels?" I answered I did, then I didn't but then I did again and explained my story. He said one of his drivers somehow just happened along during the time I lost my tub until I recovered it (couldn't have been more than 5 minutes). Since I was the only person who had bought those on this day, he knew it had to be mine so he looked up my account and called me.

I'm reading a book now called Forty Acres and a Fool. Reasonably funny but the author talks about the advantages of living in a small town. Even though Springfield is 150K plus and not too small, I guess it is small enough for word to travel pretty fast about the stupid things people do. Next time I am tempted to be in a hurry, I'll hopefully recall this, my sore back and my good fortune.

No comments: