Thursday, February 14, 2008

more on Beijing

Some months ago I wrote a post that said I would be boycotting the Beijing Olympics. I had no idea I would be in such esteemed company.

Seems sometime last year Mia Farrow - yes formerly of Woody Allen, Frank Sinatra and Rosemary's Baby - wrote an Op-Ed piece in the Wall St. Journal calling for artists to stay away from any involvement. I guess somewhere along the line Steven Spielberg had talked about helping to produce the opening ceremonies.

Here's the link to the Mia Farrow thing which was published in The Wall Street Journal, March 28, 2007

The 'Genocide Olympics'


By RONAN FARROW and MIA FARROW

"One World, One Dream" is China's slogan for its 2008 Olympics. But there is one nightmare that China shouldn't be allowed to sweep under the rug. That nightmare is Darfur, where more than 400,000 people have been killed and more than two-and-a-half million driven from flaming villages by the Chinese-backed government of Sudan." more here

Here's a link to the news about Spielberg who has now decided NOT to participate.

Honestly I had no idea China had any connection whatsoever with Sudan and Darfur but it makes sense and seems believable. I intend to research this some more in my spare time - perhaps so can you.

1 comment:

gillian said...

i heard something about this the other day and i was going to mention it to you...
obviously i didn't. but you heard anyway.
=)