Thursday, May 8, 2008

the Color of Shadows


For some reason a couple of months ago I got an idea for a short story and as I began to mull it over I added a component of Autism. I have no idea why. I've never really known anybody with autism. But I started noticing articles about it and clipping them. Then I expanded into books by or about autistic people. One I am reading now is "How Can I Talk if My Lips Don't Move?" by Tito Mukhopadhyay (absolutely no idea how I found this book or how to pronounce the name.)



One chapter is about shadows. The simple point to make here is that he noticed that shadows all had the color of where they FELL, not of the thing casting the shadow. My hand is flesh colored but its shadow might be a darker shade of the concrete it falls on or the grass beneath me.

As I read about autism I realize that these folks don't see the world in the same way I do and in some unusual ways, they may see more of it. That is going to be part of my story if I can ever get it written.

1 comment:

gillian said...

maybe it's because they can finally diagnose it but it seems like i'm hearing about a lot more cases of autism now than i used to. i worked with a girl in rogersville who had aspergers which is apparently a mild form of autism and i hate to say i was really tough on her because she was such a space cadet. i didn't know what it was at the time though and thought she was making it up... so maybe i'm pardoned. either way, can't wait to read the story.....