Thursday, May 8, 2008

Conflict Resolution

A week or so ago I was waiting at my favorite Chinese fast-food place for my order (Sweet-and-sour chicken, all-white, no won tons, extra rice - they know my order without me even saying it and call me by my first name when I approach the counter.) It is a small place so while you wait you may stand close to others either waiting or eating. I'm not European enough to share that kind of space with people but in this case you have to.

On my left was a table of scruffy young men with knit hats and lots of tattoos. On my right was a young man and his pretty (wife, girlfriend - who knows). The boys were loud and somewhat profane. The young man turned to them and asked them to stop and he used the phrase "There is a lady right here." I don't guess I've heard that used quite that way since I was much younger when people used to say "pardon my french" when they cussed. The 'boys' mostly ignored him. A minute or so later he repeated his request. Things began to heat up and the boys began to taunt him back by using a certain word that begin with the sixth letter of the alphabet.

I was worried that this would get even hotter and someone would stand-up and the next thing you know a brawl would ensue. If I frequented biker-bars more regularly (or even at all) maybe this is commonplace. But for me it is rare. I began to think about what I would do if they started in on him. They had him outnumbered 5 or 6 to 1.

He whipped out his blackberry-style phone and called someone and used the term "dispatch" which let me know either he watches too much TV or actually knew someone in 911 or the Police dept. Either way two of the loudest boys made their exit so I was not tested.

I'd like to think I would have somehow stepped in to help the one young man. But I really don't know what or where I'd have been if fists started flying.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmmm ... Vince in a Kung FU movie. Interesting thought....

gillian said...

i just got read this one finally now that i got my internet back.....