Wednesday, June 4, 2008

There Was Blood

I may be the last person to see and write about this movie but just got around to watching it with my wife last week – I finished it up this week.

OK, I know it won Oscars etc. but I was disappointed. I like Mr. Lewis but his role seemed in some ways like his “Cutter” role in Gangs of NY – more caricature than character. There were certainly some interesting scenes. I can only guess if the settings accurately represent early 20th century California but I liked the visuals.

But overall apart from watching the predictable demise of the Plainview character, the likewise stereotyped portrayal of Eli Sunday – I guess I missed something.

My wife bailed out after about 45 minutes – it did not hold her attention at all.

I was determined to finish this much raved about movie but when it was over my brain went “huh?”

Maybe others have found deeper meaning and significance.

1 comment:

gillian said...

i kind of felt the same way after i watched it....
i felt guilty (or silly or stupid or something) for not seeing the genius that everyone else (EE being the academy) saw...
i finished it because i was in too far to quit. =)