Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Which party is good for business?

In one of my other lives I occasionally write for a local business publication and in that I get to interview various business owners and the like. I really enjoy meeting people and getting an insider's look at their business.

Yesterday I met with a young man who runs a very successful business selling safety equipment and information for other businesses. (Once the article has been published I have some interesting insights to share about how Google works that I picked up on in our interview. Check back soon.) He basically helps them comply with OSHA and the myriad of regulations that govern businesses and hopefully protect workers.

He leans Republican in his politics and appreciates that they typically are more business friendly. He feels however that a Democratic administration would likely have more impact and improve his business since typically more legislation, more regulation etc. are likely - i.e. bigger government. So that is good for his business.

I've never thought about this sort of paradox before.

No comments: