Tuesday, April 28, 2009

It's My Party and I'll Switch if I want to

Just a quick thought about Sen. Specter's party-switch.

I think people should follow their convictions BUT ... if someone voted for Mr. Specter when he ran as a Republican, were they voting for the man, the party or a combination of both? It is likely all three in many cases. But is it fair for someone to switch in mid-stream after making certain promises, pledges etc.?

I guess my question is this: Should there be an election for Mr. Specter to run again for the same office? Give people another chance to vote for (or against) him as a Democrat rather than a Republican? What about those in the Democratic party in his state who have been working and planning for the next election? Does this have their blessing too?

The whole idea of switching parties at that level seems odd. Like OK to do but then why should you get to keep everything you won or got elected to if you have changed?

No comments: