Friday, April 10, 2009

TV series idea

I have a new idea for a TV series – a mockumentary featuring Russian immigrant criminals.

With the advent of NBC’s/Amy Poehler’s Parks and Recreation program in the style of the Office and with two programs this weeks featuring Russian immigrant criminals (Without a Trace and Life) I think we need to combine the two ideas/techniques.

I read a caution to screenwriters a year or two ago about avoiding having your characters crawl through heating and air conditioning ducts. Somehow you were losing your creativity if you had to resort to that. (I like 24 but Jack Bauer has to get in a ceiling or crawl thru ductwork at least once a year!)

Now it seems that the writer/producers think that Russians make good villains so they keep popping up all over the place. And it was only a matter of time before somebody simply moved the Office to another town. Again. After all it started in England.

Since I work for a govt. entity, I thought some of the lines in last night's premiere of Parks and Recreation were funny. Lots of potential here but the show needs something. Maybe because I don't know any of the people who play besides Amy Pohler. But I hope they don't think copying the style of the Office will make it work.

1 comment:

Gillian said...

i forgot that was coming on! i missed it!! is crawling through ductwork the new shark jump?